Physician Assistant Emergency Medicine - Full Time
Lincoln, NE 68502 US
A Physician Assistant (PA) specializing in Emergency Medicine plays a critical role in the healthcare team by providing medical care and support to patients in the emergency department. Their job description encompasses a wide range of responsibilities focused on assessing, diagnosing, treating, and managing patients with urgent medical needs. Here's a general overview of a Physician Assistant's job description in the field of Emergency Medicine:
- Perform thorough medical assessments of patients presenting with a variety of acute medical conditions and injuries.
- Gather patient histories, conduct physical examinations, and order and interpret diagnostic tests such as X-rays, CT scans, blood tests, and EKGs.
- Quickly and accurately assess the severity of patients' conditions to determine the appropriate level of care.
Diagnosis and Treatment:
- Formulate differential diagnoses based on clinical findings and diagnostic results.
- Develop and implement appropriate treatment plans for patients, including prescribing medications, performing procedures, and providing wound care.
- Administer intravenous medications, fluids, and other interventions as required for patient stabilization.
- Perform various medical procedures common in the emergency department, such as suturing wounds, incision and drainage, fracture reduction, and joint aspirations.
- Insert and manage intravenous lines, arterial lines, and other invasive monitoring devices.
- Administer local anesthesia and nerve blocks when necessary.
- Initiate resuscitative measures and provide life-saving interventions for critically ill or injured patients.
- Collaborate with other healthcare professionals, including physicians, nurses, paramedics, and radiologists, to ensure coordinated and efficient patient care.
- Educate patients and their families about their medical conditions, treatment plans, and the importance of follow-up care.
- Provide information on managing symptoms, preventing future medical issues, and recognizing signs of deterioration.
- Maintain accurate and detailed electronic medical records (EMRs) of patient assessments, interventions, and outcomes.
- Document patient histories, physical exam findings, diagnostic results, treatment plans, and discharge instructions.
- Communicate effectively with patients, families, and other healthcare team members to ensure clear understanding of treatment plans and expectations.
- Provide concise and accurate handoff reports during shift changes to ensure continuity of care.
- Participate in quality improvement initiatives aimed at enhancing patient care, safety, and departmental efficiency.
- Stay up-to-date with current medical guidelines, protocols, and research related to emergency medicine.
- Contribute to disaster and emergency response plans, assisting with triage and treatment during mass casualty incidents.
- Nebraska PA license
- Nebraska Controlled Substances license and federal DEA license
- Knowledge of emergency patient assessments and procedures
If you are interested, please contact :
Meredith Lusby - Account Manager